Sunday, March 1, 2009

Catching up after Holidays

Been a couple of busy weeks with the Hard Day & Otway Odyssey & 9 days away at Apollo Bay. This is what I’ve been up to. Rode well at the Hard Day but didn’t want to push it to hard before next week so stopped at 5:52hr & 101km for 2nd place.

18/2 Drove to Apollo bay & went out to recon the start of the race. 50min ride up Wild Dog Rd. The start of this race was going to be hard with 20km of climbing in the first 30km. Went for a swim in the surf.

19/2 down time with the family. 30min sharpen up ride

20/2 40min ride with 3 x 3min efforts

21/2 Up early for the 6:30am head down to the start to get a good position. 7:15am & we are off. Road the first section really well not allowing myself to go over threshold & get caught up in other peoples races. This worked great for the first 25km as was already catching people going backwards, & then everything went Pear shaped. First on some fast double track I managed to hit a broken culvert at over 50kph & punctured my rear tyre & cut the side wall at the rim. A quick change & I was off again not losing to much time. 3km later coming down a steep decent I punctured the rear tyre again. In with the last tube & my gas inflate explodes. Should have keep the back up pump on the bike, will do this next time. Next thing I know there is a big crash 20m back up the hill. So up the hill to see if everything is OK & to see if I can get a loan of a pump, only to find I’m there for first aid as he had broken his Collar Bone. Put a sling on & check him out. A couple of minutes later a friend comes along & says that he will look after him & gives me a pump which took about 400 stroke to get any air in the tyre. Back on the bike I’ve only lost another 15min, not to bad. 2km later & coming to the bottom of a super fast decent & the guy in front face plants, take evasive action, put front wheel into a rut & ripped the tyre off the rim & down I go hard. Get up quick move the bike off the track & go to check on the other guy with someone else. He has concussion & the guy helping me move him has a broken rib. Time to check them out a bit of first aid. The guy with the concussion Gives me a spare tube & decides to ride to the next check point. The Guy with the rib decides to join him & they both limp away. Another 400+ stroke of the pump & I’m away with a bit of a sore shoulder & hip. Catch the other 2 quick check on them & keep going. 10min later I realise that my Polar CS600 is missing, so I turn around & head back to the crash site. Takes about 25min to get back against the traffic & after 10min of searching I give up having found someone else’s cheep computer. Now I’ve lost over 1:15hrs & am stuck in slow traffic. Would have stopped as it was a bad day but pushed on & enjoyed the ride for a time of 7:05.

22 – 23/2 rest & recovery with sore shoulder

24/2 easy 50min of hills

25/2 90min out the back of Apollo bay in the hills.

1/3 Up early for a 5:00am ride with John in the Dandenong’s. A nice 3:40hr ride off ?km as my cycle computer is still on holiday & doesn’t seem like it’s going to come home.
Weights in the PM
2 x 20 deck squats
Step-ups 3 x 25el 2 x 16kg doing 25on one side before switching sides
4 x 20es cleans 20kg just going easy on the shoulder
Rack lunges 3 x 5es 20kg

2/3 Easy ride 70min
45min KB class 16kg
3 x 20 2A swings
3 x 10es 1A swings
10min 1A cleans
4 x 12 Rack Lunge
3 x 12 1Arm/Leg deadlift

No comments: