Sunday, December 11, 2011

Big weekend on the bike

10/12 Race day at the Gazebo 3hr out at the You Yangs was a little warmer than expected , hitting 35C in the sun at 11am. Should have brought more fluid as it was only meant to reach 28C.
There was a great turn out of 125 riders for a spin on the flat course. This course is not one for the single speed & I knew it was going to hurt. As I was still only feeling about 90% after that virus, I took the start at a moderate intensity & slotted in with 2 other single speeders into the first of the single track in about the top 40. The tracks were dry, dusty & very loose in places. The course was good for a singles speed but on the fast sections spinning at 195rpm to reach 42kpm hurt too much to do more than once. Held it together pretty well until the 2:30hrs, when I ran out of fluid & the battle began with some cramps. Felt a lot better on the bike than I had any right to, I managed 6th in B grade or 25th overall. Was happy as I was the fastest of the single speeds. It was fast with 69km with 574m climbing covered in 3:00:59hrs. Gears would have made a big difference, but I had a great time racing the single speed, so I thinks I'm going to stick with this set-up for the series.

11/12 Back out on the Single speed again today for a ride on the fun trails between Bells beach & Anglesea. The trails were in great condition with just a few puddles from Saturday nights rain. Ended up doing 2:30hr of playing, with only one of the climbs bringing me to a grinding halt, which I expected as I usually climb it in 26x32 & it's hard to get up it in this gear. Felt good after yesterday, but the climbs today did rip the legs apart.

No comments: