Sunday, September 20, 2009

20/9 Aussie Marathon Champs
Up at 3:30 as I needed to get to the race early to register. Left home at 4:10am & arrived at race venue at 6:00am, as registration was only open for 60min & food drop-offs & everything else needed to be done before 7:00am. Got registration done & slowly got ready. The Girls headed out at 7:30am & we were moved into the waiting area by 7:45am for our 8:15 start.
I got in the second row on the grid & was feeling good. The gun went & we were off. I moved straight into 3rd wheel & for the first km felt great & then we hit the first easy climb & the quads just wouldn't fire. Slowly just dropped back through the pack & off the back. At the top I felt fine again & road back on until the next climb. With nothing in the quads all I could do was just ride the climbs easy. It was strange because any short shape explosive climb seemed easier than any easy gradient climb. At about 15km my back started to tighten up on any climb due to my hip flexors trying to do to much work. In the end I came 10th in Masters, was hoping for better, but considering how bad my quads & back felt I'm glade I finished. The strange thing is I felt as bad at the 25km mark as at the finish 82km's later.
Time 5:42:54
Dist 108km
Climbing 2380m

No comments: